Re: [gpm] Untangling the sleep hotkey mess

On Monday 09 January 2006 09:43, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:37:01AM +0800, Yu, Luming wrote:
>  > The hotkey.c is NOT like what you said above.
>  > It is used to support dedicated hotkey device and dedicated hotkey AML
>  > methods that are used by ODM to implement hotkey function on their own
>  > laptops. As for hotkey event, hotkey.c doesn't handle it yet.
>  > And so-called event_num in hotkey.c are mainly used as a key for
>  > searching and storing.
>
>  Can we please stop all this madness of trying to support twenty thousand
>  weird and wonderful laptop configurations in the kernel, merge dev_acpi
>  instead and then do it all in userspace? It strikes me as massively more
>  maintainable. That way we don't need vendors to patch kernels every time
>  a manufacturer tweaks something - a small userspace update can be pushed
>  out instead.
>
>  --
>  Matthew Garrett | mjg59 srcf ucam org

If you don't like the configure data in kernel source,  it can be moved to
userspace.

Re: dev_acpi:
The key point is AML code shouldn't be exposed in userspace. It is too ugly.

At this point, I admit hotkey.c is ugly too in the current stage.
But, it is because there are NOT standard defined  in ACPI spec, or ODMs just
ignore the Spec (for example, ACPI  Video Extension).

--
Thanks,
Luming