Re: [gpm] GNOME Power Manager on Debian Etch

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 13:05 +0100, Julien Valroff wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> Le lun, 13 f�2006, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> �ivait :
>
> > On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 17:25 +0100, Julien Valroff wrote:
> [...]
> >> I notice 2 annoying things:
> >>
> >> * hibernate/suspend do not work:
> > Have you edited /etc/dbus/system.d/hal.conf and added your user ID? I
> > don't think debian has the at_console PAM stuff needed for this to "just
> > work" yet -- Alejandro, can you confirm as I think you mentioned you
> > bugzilla'd the debian hal package with a few fixes.
>
> I haven't edited this file. I will check this. If it is successfull, it
> should be mentionned somewhere in the documentation, or on the website (or
> have I missed it?).

Yes, upstream HAL accepted the newer format of the hal.conf, so it's
easy to add a new user, and also explains why and what needs changing.
I'll attach it in case the hal version you are using uses the old
layout. I can't remember when the change went in.... I'll add this to
the faq page when it works for you :-)
Debian probably needs a bug to enable pam_console by default, but they
may see it as a security risk.

> >> Note that hald is not run as root, but as hal user. If I run it as root,
> >> as suggested on
> >> http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnome-power-manager/packages.html , gpm
> >> does not work as expected (almost no options in the preferences dialog
> >> for instance).
>
> > You might want to try a newer g-p-m, there have been lots of changes
> > since 0.3.4. (see below)
> >
> >> * Unknown time:
> [...]
> > Again, I think this is fixed in a newer g-p-m.
> No, release 2.13.5 also gives an unknown time, and also warns about empty
> battery when not plugged to the AC (even if the battery is full).

:-(

Can you open a bugzilla with the g-p-m verbose log please, if it does
not work tonight.

> [...]
> >> Do you have ideas about both problems?
> > If a editing hal.conf, and a newer g-p-m does not fix things, can you
> > grab a g-p-m and hald verbose trace please, the details for this are
> > found here: http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnome-power-manager/bugs.html
> I will check all these points tonight, once back home.
> I let you know ASAP.

Thanks.

> >> If I can fix them, I could prepare a Debian package for gpm.
> > Alejandro Vera has already done a deb which I've been trying to upload
> > for the last few days, but gnomeweb has been doing odd things. For the
> > moment it is here: http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/data/debian/
> Since my first e-mail, I know some people from the Utopi project also work
> on this package (see project on Alioth).

I'll check it out.

> Again, thanks for all your answers.
> This is a greate project!

Thanks!

Richard.
<!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC
 "-//freedesktop//DTD D-BUS Bus Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd";>
<busconfig>

  <!-- This configuration file specifies the required security policies
       for the HAL to work. -->

  <!-- Only root or user haldaemon can own the HAL service -->
  <policy user="haldaemon">
    <allow own="org.freedesktop.Hal"/>
  </policy>
  <policy user="root">
    <allow own="org.freedesktop.Hal"/>
  </policy>

  <!-- Allow anyone to invoke methods on the Manager and Device interfaces -->
  <policy context="default">
    <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Manager"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device"/>

    <allow receive_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Manager"
           receive_sender="org.freedesktop.Hal"/>
    <allow receive_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device"
           receive_sender="org.freedesktop.Hal"/>
  </policy>

  <!-- Default policy for the exported interfaces -->
  <policy context="default">
    <deny send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement"/>
    <deny send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.LaptopPanel"/>
    <deny send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume"/>
    <deny send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.Crypto"/>
  </policy>

  <!-- This will not work if pam_console support is not enabled -->
  <policy at_console="true">
    <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.LaptopPanel"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.Crypto"/>
  </policy>

  <!-- You can change this to a more suitable user, or make per-group -->
  <policy user="0">
    <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.LaptopPanel"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume"/>
    <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.Crypto"/>
  </policy>

</busconfig>