Re: [gpm] If you want bleeding edge...

On Sat, 2006-04-15 at 05:50 -0700, Paul Ionescu wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> --- Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
>
> > >         I'm not
> > >         sure if the repo version has the legends implemented -- you
> > >         might want
> > >         to try cvs for some real lovin'.
>
> I just compiled g-p-m from cvs to test the "Clear" button, and it works fine.

Cool, thanks. I'll work on the time-limit data filter next.

> Also some bugs regarding the dots are corrected, but right now all dots are on the timescale
> itself instead of the graph (maybe this is intended).

Yes, intended for now, as the processing overhead for putting them on
the line is non-trivial. I might change that by popular request.

> Here are some other thoughts:
> - In the event log, near the seconds, a human readable date/time (like "Sat Apr 15, 15:35:40")
> would be nice to have.

That's that plan. Any idea how to convert from the output of time() --
which is seconds since 1970 I think -- to this format? Or I might just
switch to using a GTimer -- again any idea how to take a GTimer and
convert to "Sat Apr 15, 15:35:40"?

> - I cannot change the idle brightness of the screen and is always 30%. I tried with gconf-editor,
> but it seems that the laptop_panel_dim_brightness key is ignored.

It's because the value is only read at g-p-m startup. Can you file a bug
please and I'll fix it so that it's monitored like the others.

> - On battery, I have set the brightness to 0%, which works well, but then, after the idle timeout,
> the lcd is bumped to 30%. So I think that maybe we need to check if the idle brightness is higher
> than the current LCD brightness, and if it is, ignore the change. Otherwise we end up wasting more
> power.

Yes, agreed. Bugzilla please, then I can reference it in the source.

> - I cannot find a way to launch the "Power information" window without left click on the gpm icon
> and select it from there. Is there such a way ? If not, how do we launch it if the icon is hiding.

That's a good question, and one that I've got no easy answer to.

Maybe an icon in Applications, System Tools, Power Information that just
fires off dbus-send with a ShowInfoWindow() type request to g-p-m?

Richard.

p.s. Does anybody know how to just gtk_widget_hide a gtk_window when the
[X] is pressed? At the moment the widget is destroyed and that does bad
things. OR is keeping the info window alive but hidden for the lifetime
of g-p-m bad?