Gnome-Pilot and Ubuntu Jaunty

Hello,

I would like to share the result of some testing under Ubuntu 9.04
(Jaunty).

First of all, Gnome-Pilot has not been removed from the default install.
Ubuntu remains "Palm-friendly". This is good news!

They have even updated to version 2.0.17 in their repositories (wonder
where they found their deb file...) I was a little doubtful when I saw
that gnome-pilot-conduits had remained at version 2.0.15, but indeed it
works. I was even able to test a Bluetooth sync (Treo 680): working OOTB
(just ignore everything the PDA wants you to setup on the PC when you
prepare it for BT sync: this is obviously for Windows). So far, so good!

Now for the only a slight drawback I found. The first sync was OK but I
had no visual feedback, because I had forgotten to add the Pilot applet
icon to the taskbar. Once added, I do get a progress bar for the sync
operation. But, the icon is invisible! Not that I miss it that much, but
isn't it the only way to trigger a restore operation (from the context
menu)?

This is one of the rare flaws that I have found in Jaunty, which remains
otherwise a very appealing distro.

Best regards,
--
Daniel CLEMENT