Re: Treo 755p and General Tips

> Hi Jay,
> On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 11:51 -0400, Jay Bloodworth wrote:
>> The immediate issue: I'm trying to get my Treo 755p to talk to
>> gnome-pilot.  This is under Fedora 8.  I go through the
>> configuration wizard, but the sync times out before a connection is
>> made.  Relevant dmesg follows:

[...]

> For your current problem, my guesses are either: 1.  You haven't
> specified "usb:" as your device file name.  If there is no
> /dev/pilot then that probably means your system is set up to disable
> the 'visor' usbserial driver and should be using libusb directly.
> Instead of specifying '/dev/pilot' use 'usb:'.

Jay mentioned that he is on Fedora 8.  What version of the pilot-link
package are you using, Jay?  Fedora 8 switched to shipping using the
libusb (i.e. using "usb:" as the device name) as the default
interaction method in a recent update as it tends to work much better
out of the box and isn't as susceptible to the timing issues that the
visor module was.

The downside is that a few devices don't work so well with libusb.  I
sync just fine with a Treo 680 on Fedora 8, although it's possible
that there is something special with the Treo 755p that doesn't play
nice with libusb.

There are instructions in the
/usr/share/doc/pilot-link-*/README.fedora file that should describe
how to re-enable the visor method if libusb doesn't work.

Alex