Re: Z22 visor sync fails on subsequent attempts

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 15:49 -0400, Evan wrote:
> Syncing my Z22 with the visor module works the first time every
> boot/login, but fails the second. When it 'fails', gpilotd starts
> chewing up major cpu until it is killed, nothing appears on the
> screen, the palm soft freezes, and the applet freezes. Simply
> restarting the daemon through the applet before syncing the second
> time makes it work, but it is quite annoying.
>
> I have tried starting gpilotd through the command line to debug, but
> it works properly when started with the command line. Therefore it is
> either a problem in the applet that interferes with subsequent syncs
> (unlikely, since restarting the daemon but not the applet fixes it),
> or more likely, one of the options that the applet starts the daemon
> with is causing the problem. Anyone know what special options the
> applet passes the daemon?

There are no command-line options that should affect this.  I wonder
whether it could be that the time spent outputting text to the console
avoids a race condition that underlies the problem you're getting?

> I know that there was a similar problem syncing a Z22 with hal
> recently, but I wasn't following it, so I just thought I'd mention it
> in case they're related.

The issue with hal was that some recent kernel, udev or hal change means
that the usb serial devices don't disappear from HAL-land after a sync,
meaning that gnome-pilot never gets told a palmos usb-serial device has
connected after the first connection.  If you think this is your
problem, try stopping hald before starting gpilotd.  You can then
restart hald, as gpilotd only checks HAL on startup.

Matt