Re: Pilot Applet invisible/needed conduits missing

--- Nathan Owens <pianocomp81 yahoo com> wrote:

> --- Simon Roberts <thorpflyer yahoo com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm still trying to get a working palm<-->Evolution link. I've
> downloaded and built the
> > gnome-pilot release, the conduits, and the panel applet package
> (building was tricky, as all
> > kinds of unexpected dependencies kept cropping up, not least the
> scrollkeeper stuff). Anyway,
> > now I have a strange situation and seek help again.
> >
> > The daemon is running, and it appears that the applet is running
> too (at least it shows up under
> > ps after I try to add it to the panel). Furthermore, if I connect
> the palm and hit sync, the
> > sync window pops up and shows that it's backing up the palm.
> However, the applet is invisible.
> > This is odd, but the big problem is that I can't see any way to
> configure the conduits. This, I
> > assume, is the reason that the data from the palm does not show up
> in Evolution.
>
> I'm not sure why the applet wouldn't be showing up. Usually, you'd
> click on the applet to launch
> the configuration GUI. In lieu of that, you can run
> gpilotd-control-applet from the command line,
> which will allow you to configure the conduits.
>
> One way to troubleshoot why the applet isn't showing up on the
> gnome-panel bar is to run the
> command:
>   > $INSTALL_PATH/libexec/gpilot-applet
> --oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_PilotApplet_Factory
> and then add PilotApplet to the gnome-panel. You should see some
> messages print out in the
> command-line, which you can send this e-mail list. I don't know how
> much it'll help, but it's a
> good place to start. Based on your comments, the applet is indeed
> running.
>
> Also make sure you didn't start gpilot-applet from the command line
> without the
> --oaf-activate-iid. I tried that just now, and while gpilot-applet
> was running it didn't show up
> any panel. It doesn't sound like that's the problem though (sounds
> like the gnome-panel GUI was
> used to add the applet).
>
> Nathan

Well, it took a while to get to this again, but I started the control
applet and enabled some conduits and they work. However, there's no
conduit for calendar or address book. All I have are Backup, Expense,
File, MAL, MemoFile, Sendmail, Test, and Time. So, while it took ages
to synchronize (I think it copied a lot of files over!) it still
doesn't get the calendar into Evolution, so we're still dead in the
water.

Any more thoughts?

TIA,
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." ? Naguib Mahfouz

Have a burning question?