Re: gnome-pilot can't see my palm V (jpilot can)

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 06:06:41PM +0100, Matt Davey wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 12:36 -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> > tried running this command, but apparently gpilotd.debug is not
> > included in the Ubuntu packages (tried installing the -dev packages as
> > well, no luck).  running the regular gpilotd with the env variables
> > set gave no special bt output, but did append these messages to the
> > initial error:
> > gpilotd-Message: Found 12ef, 0100
> > gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
> > gpilotd-Message: setting PILOTRATE=9600
> > DEV POLL Serial Unix Found data on fd: 19
> > DEV RX Unix Serial Bytes: 1
> > NET RX: Checking for headerless packet 190
> > DEV RX Unix Serial Bytes: 5
> > NET RX type=190 txid=0xef len=0xed030302
>
> Cool cool cool. maybe.
> Here's a curious thing: '190' in decimal is 'be' in hex.
> The first two bytes apparently being read from the file descriptor
> therefore spells 'beef'.  This is deeply suspicious.  Check out:
> http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/D/DEADBEEF.html

ok, way above me.

> This may be coincidence, or it may be a bright red warning light that
> ttyUSB is giving us uninitialised memory.  This would be a surprise,
> frankly.  Anyone else out there with less unlikely theories?
>
> > > One thing worth trying: if you are running the gnome-pilot panel applet
> > > (that shows the enigmatic progress bar on sync, and the 'sync' icon that
> > > changes colour) you can right click on the applet to 'pause' the daemon.
> [..]
> >
> > um, for some reason it wouldn't run just now.
>
> There have been applet bugs reported on debian and ubuntu which I can't
> reproduce :(
>
> Another way of accomplishing the same thing is to suspect the gpilotd
> process by ctrl-Z at the command line, start the hotsync, and then
> resume gpilotd with 'fg'.

no go -- I get the same behaviour as before, though since I'm not
running it inside gdb (wasn't sure how to do this) I see that my
original gtk-warning is back.  I'm not sure whether I put that in my
first email:

$ fg
env PILOT_DEBUG="DEV SLP CMP PADP NET SOCK" PILOT_DEBUG_LEVEL="DEBUG"
/usr/bin/gpilotd
gpilotd-Message: setting PILOTRATE=9600
DEV POLL Serial Unix Found data on fd: 16
DEV RX Unix Serial Bytes: 1
NET RX: Checking for headerless packet 190
DEV RX Unix Serial Bytes: 5
NET RX type=190 txid=0xef len=0xed030303

(gnome_segv2:17370): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

that looks like a strange warning to me -- is gpilotd trying to open a
window to talk to me?  but why wouldn't it be able to open the display?

> You could try configuring 'network sync'.  The pilot-link utility
> pi-nredir can be used to forward an incoming serial connection to a
> remote (or localhost) host.  I think the gp on ubuntu has been patched
> so that network sync works, in which case you could get pi-nredir to
> listen to ttyUSB, and configure a 'new device' with the gnome-pilot
> config applet and set it to netsync.

not sure this  will work:
$ pi-nredir -p /dev/ttyUSB0

   Listening to port: /dev/ttyUSB0

   Please press the HotSync button now... Connected

LANSync not enabled on your Palm, cancelling sync.

I can't find the "LANSync" pref panel on my palm, will continue
looking for it/try to figure whether it is available on the V.

matt