gnome-pilot can't see my palm V (jpilot can)

Hi,

I've been happily running gnome-pilot & evolution on debian sid for a
while, and my palm v has synced pretty well.  Unfortunately my
ocmputer died & I upgraded both hard and software, and I'm now running
Ubuntu dapper (gnome-pilot 2.0.13-0ubuntu16 is the package version).
My palm is an old Palm V which connects over USB using a Belkin
Serial-to-USB cable.

dmesg shows that the device is recognized, the handspring/visor module
is loaded, and /dev/ttyUSB0 is created.  Jpilot, and I htink also
kpilot, can connect quite happily (kpilot wants to erase all my data,
but jpilot syncs perfectly).  I'd really like to use gnome-pilot,
though, but unfortunately gpilotd dies when I press the hotsync
button with a gtk-warning "cannot open display". [that's actually on a
good run; sometimes it just sits there repeating:

(gnome-pilot:11574): gpilotd-WARNING **: pi_accept_to: Connection
timed out

(gnome-pilot:11574): gpilotd-WARNING **: pi_accept_to: timeout was 2
secs
gpilotd-Message: setting PILOTRATE=9600

anyway I'm tyring to figure out why jpilot can connect when gpilotd
can't.  Can you folks point me in the right direction?

thanks,

Matt

Matt Price	    matt price utoronto ca
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094