Cannot make USB sync connection to Tungsten E2

I have not been able to begin synchronisation between gnome-pilot and
my PalmOne Tungsten E2, using the supplied USB cable. I haven't been
able to find any documentation explaining how to use USB
synchronisation with gnome-pilot.

I don't think the problem is the hardware since I can sync on Windows
and with jpilot, but not with gnome-pilot. I can also use pilot-link.

When I plug in the device, I see one USB device, but the visor kernel
module creates two serial port devices, as shown in the syslog:
---
Jan 10 23:41:10 localhost kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device
using uhci_hcd and address 30
Jan 10 23:41:10 localhost kernel: visor 2-1:1.0: Handspring Visor /
Palm OS converter detected
Jan 10 23:41:10 localhost kernel: usb 2-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
converter now attached to ttyUSB0
Jan 10 23:41:10 localhost kernel: usb 2-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS
converter now attached to ttyUSB1
Jan 10 23:41:10 localhost usb.agent[14020]:      visor: already loaded
Jan 10 23:41:10 localhost udev[14066]: creating device node
'/dev/ttyUSB0'
Jan 10 23:41:10 localhost udev[14074]: creating device node
'/dev/ttyUSB1'
---

Using dlpsh before pressing the hotsync button doesn't work as the
device nodes don't exist before then. After pressing it, the two
device nodes are created, but for the first, dlpsh does not connect:
---
sjm217 kelvin:~$ dlpsh -p /dev/ttyUSB0
   Listening to port: /dev/ttyUSB0
   Please press the HotSync button now...
[Ctrl-C kills]
---

For the second, it does:
---
sjm217 kelvin:~$ dlpsh -p /dev/ttyUSB1
   Listening to port: /dev/ttyUSB1
   Please press the HotSync button now... Connected
Welcome to the DLP Shell
Type 'help' for additional information
[device makes 'start-sync' noise]
dlpsh> quit
Exiting.
[device makes 'end-sync' noise]
---

When using gnome-pilot, I use the following Cradle settings:
 Name: Cradle
 Port: /dev/ttyUSB1
 Speed: 57600
 Timeout: 2
 Type: USB

and select "Yes I've used sync software before..."

Then, on clicking "Next", nothing happens on the "Initial Sync" page
and "Forward" is greyed out. The Palm does not make any noise and
eventually times out.

I have also tried pressing the HotSync button after going to "Initial
Sync", using "Type: Serial", and using "Port: /dev/ttyUSB0" but there
is no change.

Is there anything I am doing wrong? Is there some way to get more
debugging information to find out how to fix the problem?

I am using gnome-pilot 2.0.12-1.1ubuntu4, libpisock8 0.11.8-10ubuntu1,
libpisync0 0.11.8-10ubuntu1 on Ubuntu Hoary with Linux 2.6.10-6-686.

Thanks in advance,
Steven Murdoch.

--
w: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/sjm217/