gnome-pilot won't sync

Hi, all.  I'm very new to the world of unix-like operating systems, so I
hope I'm able to clearly explain enough about my problem to get some
help.

I'm running FreeBSD 6.1, and would like to sync my Handspring Visor with
Evolution.  I can't get it to work.  I've noticed that when I press the
hotsync button on the visor, /dev/ugen0 pops up, but after a few seconds
the visor displays a message saying the connection couldn't be
established.  I've also noticed that if I keep an eye on the system log,
I get this every time I try to sync:

Dec  6 18:50:02 explore kernel: ugen0: Handspring Inc Handspring Visor,
rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2
Dec  6 18:50:07 explore kernel: ugen0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 2)
disconnected
Dec  6 18:50:07 explore kernel: All threads purged from ugen0.2
Dec  6 18:50:07 explore kernel: All threads purged from ugen0.1
Dec  6 18:50:07 explore kernel: All threads purged from ugen0
Dec  6 18:50:07 explore kernel: ugen0: detached

I have never seen /dev/pilot, which seems to be where gnome-pilot
expects it to be.  I've done a fair amount of googling and lurked for a
while on this list, but so far I haven't found any info that has helped
me. Anyone got any ideas?

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that the cradle and the visor itself are
OK; I was able to sync up fine the last time I tried it on my old
computer (a mac), though I don't have it anymore to do a current
comparison.

TIA,
matt