Re: gnome-pilot-list Digest, Vol 19, Issue 10

> From: Matt Davey <mcdavey mrao cam ac uk>

> I have had success using my patch from last November and a borrowed Sony
> Clie  (my own palm is a venerable Palm V with serial cradle, so I can't
> check current status right now).  Some people have reported success with
> unpatched gnome-pilot using ppp ('modem sync') connections.

What is the distinction between network sync and ppp "modem sync"
connections?  Everything I have read about syncing my Treo over
bluetooth says I need to establish a ppp connection and then do a
network sync.  But once the connection is up, why should it matter that
it is ppp - isn't it just two ip stacks talking to each other?

> In the meantime, if you feel like testing the posted patch, that would
> be useful.  I don't remember getting any feedback, either positive or
> negative.

In trying to layer your patch on top of the fedora core rpm
(gnome-pilot-2.0.13-5.fc4), I'm find that it conflicts with another
patch called gnome-pilot-2.0.12-port-to-pilot-link-0.12.patch, which
also seems to touch the network sync code.  I'll tinker a little, but
not being familiar with the codebase and not having done much socket
programming, I probably won't get far.

One of the frustrations I'm having as I try to sort this all out is that
I don't completely understand the relationships and layering between
bluetooth, ppp, ip, pilot-link, and gnome-pilot.  If you or anyone can
help provide or point to a nice explanation, I'd be grateful.

In any event, thanks for the reply and for the work on the patch.

Jay