Re: Network Sync

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 10:06 -0500, Jay Bloodworth wrote:
> What is the distinction between network sync and ppp "modem sync"
> connections?  Everything I have read about syncing my Treo over
> bluetooth says I need to establish a ppp connection and then do a
> network sync.  But once the connection is up, why should it matter that
> it is ppp - isn't it just two ip stacks talking to each other?

Not sure... AFAIK there isn't official documentation on the network sync
modes -- indeed, Palm have tended not to help third parties develop
implementations.  One historical note is that a 'LAN sync' mode exists,
where a cradle connection was made to the Palm Desktop, which then
forwarded the sync to remote machine.  There were then two 'modem sync'
options, one dials into the ultimate palm desktop machine, and one
(which I guess is the bluetooth model) that dials into a general IP
service and then establishes a connection to the remote machine.

A packet capture was recently posted that showed a TCP connection being
established for a WLAN sync.  If you could post a packet trace of a
ppp/bluetooth sync, that would probably be of some interest.

As regards, the fedora patches... it might be worth checking the gnome-
pilot CVS, which (since early Nov) has been patched for pilot link 0.12.
It might be easier to see how the code has evolved away from the patch
using the history.  ( anonymous:@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome )

Matt

Matt Davey	By doing just a little every day, I can gradually let the
mcdavey mrao cam ac uk   task completely overwhelm me. --  Ashleigh Brilliant