Re: Beginner looking for an 'Howto'

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 13:04, Jerome Colin wrote:
> Matt Davey wrote:
> > The Zire 72 is not supported in the default gnome-pilot
> > distribution.  Make sure you install gnome-pilot 2.0.12,
> > then edit the devices.xml file (/usr/share/gnome-pilot/devices.xml),
> > and add lines for the Zire 72:
> >
> > <!-- Palm Tungsten Zire 72 -->
> > <device vendor_id="0830" product_id="0061" />
> Ok, I've made it. And I use gnome-pilot-2.0.12-4.

Did you restart gpilotd?  The devices.xml is only checked when
gpilotd starts.

Try the following:
open a terminal window
Run 'killall gpilotd'
Run '/usr/libexec/gpilotd'

This will start gpilotd in the terminal window, so you can see its
output.

Now run 'gpilotd-control-applet' to start the applet, and see what
messages you get from gpilotd.

Alternatively, you can check you've got the right port name and
permissions using pilot-xfer:

pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB1 -l

This should invite you to press the HotSync button, connect,
list apps on your Zire, and disconnect.  If not, try ttyUSB0,
as you're not going to have success with gnome-pilot until
pilot-link is working.

Matt

Matt Davey		I went to a Grateful Dead Concert and they played
mcdavey mrao cam ac uk 	     for SEVEN hours.  Great song.