Re: syncing over USB

<lol> None of the above.  I stumbled upon the hack once accidentally
many moons ago while trying to get sync to work over USB.  Then I gave
up USB sync in disgust in favor of the slower but more reliable (for
me) serial sync.  Recently, I read a message where someone else
mentioned the "hack" (it will take me all day to find the message
again, so please don't ask for proof!).  So I tried to revisit the
issue and see if I'd have better luck this time around, I've gone
through a few new kernels and s/ware upgrades since then.

For the record, my distro is from Gentoo (www.gentoo.org).  I'm
running with linux-2.6.x (x=11 or 13, I think).  My "palm" is really a
Handspring Visor running Palm OS 3.1H3.

I know that the problem must be with the gnome-pilot applet and not
the kernel because pilot-xfer does succeed to connect with the Pilot
over the USB.  I just have to hit the sync button before I start
pilot-xfer so that the node /dev/usb/tts/1 will be there when
pilot-xfer starts up.  (By default, pilot-xfer looks for /dev/pilot,
which is a soft link to /dev/usb/tts/1.  Since my kernel uses devfs or
whatever voodoo came next, the /dev file node only appears when the
device is actually trying to connect).

One important question: In the pilot-applet configuration, do I want
to tell it that the USB port is "serial" or "USB"?  I know this is
like asking "What color was Grant's white horse", but in some threads
I've read, the authors state that you need to tell the pilot applet
that the USB port is "serial" in order to get it to work.  Either way
it isnt working at all for me, so I have to ask to make sure I'm not
trying something that's useless.

--
Larry Siden
http://umich.edu/~lsiden/