Re: Synching with two computers

> But beyond that David, your reply sucks.

	Yes, I tend to be very unhelpful to the many thousands of
users I support every single day. You're right. If you go back and
read the list archives here and on other lists, you'll see that too.
</sarcasm>

> I am not looking for the answer to the problem. I did not say
> "Please help me with this", or anything close to it. I offered
> information to an information forum, if anyone is interested.

	No, actually you didn't do either.

	You never said in your original message that you solved the
problem and had a solution to present. Your original message sounded
like a request for help, because Windows screwed up your data as
represented in Evolution. Go re-read it and see what it says. I'm not
the only one who interpreted it that way.

	In the future, consider formulating your email in a way that
people can understand what you're saying. It might help a bit more
towards providing a solution, or soliciting the kind of people who can
best help you.

> I was polite David. I offered to extend my time and effort to help
> anybody that is working on, or is curious about, this bug. I hurled
> no insults.

	Interesting, but no you didn't. And I quote:

	"If this leaves you scratching your head thinkingd "why the
	 heck would anybody want to do that" I will not waste
	 the bandwidth."

	This sounds like a "I'm doing something weird, and if you ask
me why, you're wasting my time."

> If nobody cares about this issue, I see no need to waste people's
> time with the details.

	You won't know who cares, until you provide enough information
to be useful. You're "Nyah-nyah" post didn't do much to encourage
anyone to ask further... so how can they know the information would be
useful to them?

	Provide the details, and let the rest of the list decide if
they think it merits further inspection or review. Perhaps parts of it
are useful to some, and not to others. You won't know until you post
it.

> A simple, polite, offer to any developer that is curious about this
> should have received a, "Yes, I would like to see what you found",
> or a "No, we are not interested", or simply been ignored.

	How can we not be interested, when there is no information?

	That's like saying

	"I've got something to sell you, but I can't tell you what it
	 is, and if you ask me what it is, you're wasting my time. Do
	 you want to buy it or not?"

	That being said, I did ask for greater detail, which you
ignored, confirming my original assumption about the nature of your
message.

> yourself, "Why is it so hard to recruit quality programmers to
> projects like this? Why would somebody with 20 years C/C++
> experience not feel welcome here?"

	I don't ask myself that at all, actually. Everybody is treated
equally, with the same level of respect, until they prove otherwise
(in most cases). I don't make assumptions about the skills of someone
posting a message to a public mailing list, and certainly not after
only a 2-sentence message.

	You could have 20 years of experience programming in LISP, but
you still might not understand how the GNOME classes and objects work.
Everyone, including you, has areas of skill that they can learn more
on.

	If you wanted to help, you would have provided some useful
information that could help the other developers here (many with much
more experience than you) to solve the problem.

	A patch, details, versions of components, all of the things I
asked for in my reply... if you truly were a programmer with 20 years
of C/C++ experience, you wouldn't be so ignorant to the kind of things
that help _other programmers_ solve these kinds of problems.

	I'm done, now you're wasting _my_ time.

	Good luck with your solution. Perhaps Palm and Microsoft would
be interested in hearing all about it.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod gnu-designs com
http://gnu-designs.com