Re: Can I add the charset parameter to the pilot device configuration?

The Palm SDK also defines
#define charEncodingCP1250              CHAR_ENCODING_VALUE(27)

	Ah, so there is... I didn't look deep enough.

Ken Krugler is the maintainer of those bits. It might be worth it to send him an email and ask what the real solution should be, going forward. Since he knows the roadmap inside Palmsource, we can be confident his answer will reflect the future.

I like Ladislav's suggestion of a charset setter in pilot-link's util.c. I can't see any way to retrieve the device's charset at sync time, so we probably have to rely on the user to select a charset.

I'm ok with part of this solution, as long as it is 1252 by default, and does not ever go outside the bounds of what a cleanly wiped PalmOS device supports, without any third-party hacks, software, or add-ons applied. If there is a Klingon charset add-on, should we support that in pilot-link?

We can check to see if it is supported by iconv and listed in the current PalmLocale.h. There's certainly some work matching the palm encoding types to iconv charset identifiers. How standard are they, anyway?

Unsure, but we also have to be very careful about adding additional dependencies to pilot-link that aren't portable across ALL of the platforms we support, without relying on any GNOME-specific bits (glib, gtk, et al.). I don't want pilot-link's codebase to become the "dumping ground" for things that other projects don't want to add to their own codebase.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod gnu-designs com
http://gnu-designs.com