Can I add the charset parameter to the pilot device configuration?

I tried to synchronize my Palm IIIx with Evolution, but Evolution
crashed. After some research, I found that this is an character
set encoding problem. My Palm uses CP1250 while the pilot-link
assumes CP1252 (latin1). An illegal unicode char makes the
evolution addressbook plugin to crash:

(process:2258): GLib-CRITICAL (recursed) **: file gstring.c: line
672 (g_string_erase): assertion `pos >= 0' failed aborting...

Of course, the addresses in the evolution addressbook were not
correct.

It was not easy to figure out what controls the character set
conversion: the encoding is hardcoded in the sources for the
pilot-link library libpisock. I needed to recompile pilot-link in
order to change the encoding. This is not very convenient.

I would like to make things easier for an ordinary user. I want
to write a patch which will add the encoding into the pilot
device configuration:

1) a function convert_SetPilotCharset will be added to pilot-link
which will change the encoding from default CP1252 to the selected
one

2) there will be a new parameter called "pilot_charset" in the
gnome_pilot configuration file (per device), default CP1252

3) The capplet will be changed accordingly. The user will be able
to change the encoding here.

Please let me know if such a change is acceptable before I start
to work on it.

Best Regards

Ladislav Sladecek

--