Re: Evolution and Treo 600 sync mini-HOWTO

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 07:23 pm, Simon Wong wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 00:20, Dan Freed wrote:
> > I have a Treo 600, but I have not had much better luck.  To make it talk
> > at all you will need to add the Treo's Vendor ID and Product ID to the
> > gpilotd.c file and recompile.  That wasn't terribly difficult.  The end
> > result was even
>
> I assumed that it would be handled solely by the visor kernel module.
> I'll get the code and maybe try it.  See below...
gpilotd is the only sync tool that I am aware of that has these defined in
their code.  The pilot tools do not, nor do the kpilot or jpilot tools.

> > worst than not talking.  It pretty much just locks my machine up almost
> > every time I sync with gpilot.  I can't find anything in the error log to
> > give me any indication to the problem.  But, when it happens it is locked
> > hard, it will not even respond to pings.
>
> This sounds really bad.  Was it using the applet (which although I
> probably couldn't do any better is a pile of %#^#!) which has *never*
> worked for me.  I always ended up running gpilotd from the command line
> and it was fine with my old Palm Vx.
Nope no applet being used.  I am primarily a KDE user (go KDE ;), but I do run
Evo so originally was using Evo to start the deamon, but once I started
seeing this problem I played with it on the command line as well as using it
under both gnome and KDE all with the same results.

> > I have since switched to using kpilotd.  While not perfect, it at least
> > syncs without locking me up.
>
> NO!  Gnome all the way :-)
See above KDE comment....

> > I would love to use gpilot to sync with Evolution and my company's
> > exchange
>
> What I have found is multisync (multisync.sourceforge.net) and it seems
> to be working fine.
>
> Check it out!

I'll look into this.  It sounds like a good alternative.

Thanks!