Handsrping Treo 600

Does anyone have gnome-pilot working with the Handspring Treo 600?

I have done a *lot* of searching on the web but have not found any
information that has been able to help me.

I am able to backup the Treo using "pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB1" and it
all works fine.

Unfortunately, when I setup gnome-pilot to use that port nothing happens
regardless of which order I start gpilotd and press the hotsync button.

I am using Debian Unstable:

        $ dpkg -l gnome-pilot gnome-pilot-conduits

        Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
        uppercase=bad)
        ii  gnome-pilot    2.0.10-3       A GNOME applet for management
        of your Palm P
        ii  gnome-pilot-co 2.0.10-2       Conduits for gnome-pilot

It seems very odd that it works with pilot-link but not gnome-pilot.

The only other thing that I have noticed was that one page showed
/var/log/messages showing a serial interface assigned to the device but
I don't get any such messages.  In any case pilot-xfer works.

Any tips greatly appreciated...

--
Simon Wong <linux thoughtworx com>