Syncing fine. Data goes to the bit bucket instead of evo.

I used to have gnome-pilot working with evo great.  But something
happened.

Here's what happens:

1)  I remove my .evolution directory.
2)  I restart Evolution
3)  I restart gpilotd
4)  I sync my pilot.
5)  The gpilotd output shows no errors or warnings.  There is a lot of
data being handled, though.  So I think we're ok here.
6)  After the sync, I look over at evolution, and the addresses have
repopulated from the pilot.  The tasks, and calendars are completely
empty.
7)  If I look at the gpilotd data closely, I'm seeing some of the
entries are being duplicated.  Sort of an exponential growth on each
sync.

Versions:

Evolution 2.03
evolution-data-server 1.0.3-1
Debian Unstable
pilot-link 0.11.8-10
gnome-pilot 2.0.10-6.1
gnome-pilot-conduits 2.0.10-2
libgnome-pilot1 0.1.64-1
libgnome-pilot2 2.0.10-6.1

Is it possible that I have illegal characters somewhere in my palm dbs?
I ask because I used to run a Japanese palm os.  Some of the data was
entered there.