netsync with gpilotd

Hi,

I've been unsuccessfully trying to netsync my Palm Tungsten T3 with
gpilotd (Debian package gnome-pilot 2.0.10-6.1).

As I didn't really find a description of these problems on the
mailinglist, search engines and howtos, I'd like to describe these
problems here and ask a few questions to work towards a solution.

1. User interface
================================

   When setting up gpilotd using gpilotd-control-applet, I chose a
   "network" device. This results in the following lines in
   ~/.gnome2/gnome-pilot.d/gpilotd:

   [Device0]
   type=1
   name=Cradle
   device=/dev/pilot
   speed=115200
   timeout=2

   [Device1]
   type=4
   name=Network
   ip=
   host=
   netmask=
   timeout=2

   While the user interface doesn't give me any possibility to set ip,
   host or netmask.

   Experimenting with vi and ~/.gnome2/gnome-pilot.d/gpilotd shows
   that filling out these lines makes gpilotd listen to udp/14237 - so
   it looks like the networking code is there, and it's just the user
   interface which is lacking.

   Is it correct that the user interface is just lacking proper
   support for multiple connection types?

   OK, this is not so serious, because I can work around it using an
   editor.

2. Network communication (tcp/14238 vs. udp/14237)
================================

   Running

       pilot-xfer -p net:any -l

   causes pilot-xfer to listen to tcp/14238. When I then press the
   hotsync symbol on the Tungsten T3, it connects to tcp/14238 and
   starts syncing. (Verified with tcpdump).

   Now, when I start gpilotd (with ip,host,netmask filled out),
   I see gpilotd listening only to udp/14237 - and my Tungsten T3
   doesn't ever send packets there (according to tcpdump).

   A short conversation with knghtbrd on #pilot-link showed that
   udp/14237 isn't really used anywhere.

   Further references to udp/14237 can be found in the pi-csd code -
   which gpilotd is supposed to have copied, according to one posting
   I found somewhere.

   Some older posting to the coldsync ML described udp/14237 as
   netsync-wakeup and tcp/14238 as netsync, so knghtbrd and I
   speculated that pi-csd (and thus gpilotd) is waiting to receive
   something on udp/14237 and only the is going to listen to
   tcp/14238.

   Does anyone know more about the purpose of udp/14237?

   Are there any devices which actually use udp/14237?

   Are there any devices which do netsync with gpilotd?

   And why doesn't gpilotd listen to tcp/14238 in the first place?

Thanks for your attention.

Uli