gnome-pilot not reacting

Hi List!

After accidentally destroying my trusted old Clie 770 last year
(...sniff...), I finally ended my period of mourning and got myself a
TH55. I am working with Debian unstable, self-compiled kernel 2.6.6rc1
(which includes the clie5-modification to the visor module), but all
gnome-pilot and pilot-link packages as well as all libpisock-stuff is
straight out of the official "unstable" debian package repository.

Using /dev/pilot which is linked to /dev/ttyUSB0, I have already been
able to backup the hole Clie using pilot-xfer from pilot-link. So I
guess, technically speaking I am connecting alright and I do not expect
this to have anything to do with my self-built kernel. I will therefore
not post any messages regarding the usb-serial issues or kernel logs.

My Problem however ist that I can't get gnome pilot to do anything at
all. Configuring it using the exact same settings as for pilot-link, the
graphical frontend (gpilotd-control-applet is the name, if I recall
correctly) gets to the point where it says
[translated from german]
"Ready to receive Username and ID from Pilot. Please put in
Cradle(/dev/pilot) blablabla hotsync"

then, when I hotsync, the clie keeps trying to connect, eventually
failing after a relatively long time, and gnome-pilot doesn't do
anything, it just sits there.

when I start gpilotd manually after killing any possible already running
instance, i get:

gpilotd-Message: gnome-pilot 2.0.10 starting...
gpilotd-Message: compiled for pilot-link version 0.11.8
gpilotd-Message: compiled with [VFS] [USB] [IrDA] [Network]

(gpilotd:3194): gpilotd-WARNING **: Es stehen keine Geräte zur
Verfügung.

(gpilotd:3194): gpilotd-WARNING **: Keine Geräte verfügbar

(gpilotd:3194): gpilotd-WARNING **: Kein Pilot verfügbar
gpilotd-Message: Activating CORBA server
gpilotd-Message: bonobo_activation_active_server_register = 0

I managed to eliminate the WARNINGs by putting suitable settings into
the configfiles, but still, it just sits there and does nothing, as if i
hadn't pushed the hotsync-butten.

if with the exact same setup I use pilot-xfer again, everything works
fine on the very first attempt.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, how do I configure gnome-pilot to use network sync, e.g. where do
I put the IP-address and stuff? If it just has a problem accessing the
usb-ports for some reason, I might get around that using wireless
network sync which eventually I would want to do anyway, but how do you
configure that, assuming that the clie's wlan is booked in alright and I
know it's IP address?

Also, I tried multisync (0.81-7 from debian unstable), which recognizes
the clie through /dev/pilot, then starts to sync, but always crashes
sometime during the sync, not transferring all of my data.

Please give me some advice!

kind regards,
--
Jan Drewes