Re: Clie / USB Timing Problem

On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 13:13, Stefan Ulrich Hegner wrote:

> what you describe is exactly what I have been (and sill am) struggeling
> with.

That is good news in some sort of way... at least I'm not alone ;-)

> Probably I wasn't persistent enough. I only got your 99% - no
> connection.

If you get told "that has to work, it works for everyone!" you keep
tryin' ;-)

> alternative uhci module wouldn't work on my system.

Uh? What does that mean? Doesn't load at all? Doesn't connect? I can't
remember having any problems with the alternative module on any system
so far, at least not in the "basic" sense (Insmod, compilation etc.)

> My current status: I downloaded 2.4.22 and patched it to 2.4.23rc2.
> There is still the interrupt message ... but the syncing works.

I'll give .23 a try next weekend. Or maybe its time for 2.6

> My gut feeling:
> This might possibly also be a sony problem, resulting from a not
> properly implemented serial protocol or whatever.

Yepp, that's what came to my minds before. Wouldn't be the first time
Sony produces crap.

> I get this idea, because people with similar setup but different PDAs
> don't seem to have this trouble.

Unfortunately, I've note met anyone with an USB device by now to test
another one.

> Maybe it's worth trying to contact sony and get an opinion from them.

I would be very surprised if you would get _any_ answer at all. And if,
it certainly would be:

We regret to inform you that Sony Inc. does not support linux in any way
- And hey, your SJ30 is rather old, how about an upgrade? For only 499
Bucks we could ship you a brand new XJ-S-500-Super (Win32only, of
course).

But if you'd like to give it a try, tell them they may contact me for
details. Good luck.

On the other hand: If you say .23rc2 is working, maybe there has been
something fixed in the meantime that has never been brought into
relation with our problem. And that would blame the fault on the linux
side. Or even better: maybe once again the linux coders have found nice
little bucks in commercial products and produced non-commercial
solutions to ship around them, probably being standard-conform at the
same time ;-)

I'll see....

Lars

--