Re: Backtrace who?

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 05:21, JP Rosevear wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 23:45, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 21:40, JP Rosevear wrote:
> >
> > > What version of gnome-pilot is this?
> >
> > 2.0.9...  For some reason I haven't been able to nail down it always
> > explodes when the status window becomes active even though the gtk+-1.x
> > applet seemed to work fine.  I could probably figure out where things
> > are going awry if I had a clue about how to get the back trace to show
> > up.
>
> You might be having backtrace trouble because the applet is now loading
> from libexec.

Aha...  I didn't realize that gdb might need to be pointed to the binary
to be debugged.  I just expected it would figure it out from the
environment of the binary or something.  So much for expectations of
gdb...

Okay, after copying the gpilotd-applet into /usr/bin, I have become more
suspicious that it's an infestation of evil nanomonkies masquerading as
several bytes of unicode data.  If I run gnome-terminal and issue a
`killall -11 gnome-terminal` bug-buddy is invoked, gdb runs, I get lots
of debugging stuff, everything's happy.  If I start that applet up,
leave notices enabled and sync, it crashes, and when bug-buddy runs if I
hit Show Debugging Details it *now* says in the text area that it's
getting the symbols from /usr/bin/gpilot-applet... and at the point
where the cylon bar would come to a halt and gimme what I want,
_bug-buddy_ crashes.  Even though I felt horribly naive for trying, I
can also confirm that apparently these evil nanomonkies are able to
continue to crash bug-buddy attempting to run gdb on itself.  *sigh*
Time to flush everything and try another sanitized build I think...