lockups when synching/unsynching

Hi,
My friend has been trying to use my computer to backup her palm III. For a long time she was storing backups and we assumed it was working fine. Eventually she had a palm memory wipe, and had to restore. Then we found the problems. Of about 50 "archives", 3 would refulse to go across the serial cable to her palm. I tried various methods, like the auto-restore-sniffing it did, and using the GDM gui, but those archives were cursed and we had to throw them away and hand enter them. Now when she tries to backup, it gets 5 archives in and then freezes in ToDoList.

This is the stock debian woody gpilotd:
  ork ~ gpilotd --version
  gpilotd-Message: gnome-pilot 0.1.64 starting...
  gpilotd-Message: compiled for pilot-link version 0.9.5
  gpilotd-Message: compiled with [VFS] [GOAD] [USB] [IrDA] [Network]
  Gnome gnome-pilot 0.1.64
We also notice that we have to add the gpilot yingyang to her toolbar each login, -- its not sticky between sessions. Is that a bug?