Re: [SN0f126b03]Sync with Linux pilot-link Samtech004

Electronics wrote:
Dear Adam, This is Samsung Telecommunication America.

We appologize for the way you feel in regards with this issue. Unfortunately, we cannot support Linux as the phone was not made for use with Linux, as with most Palm devices. This is why we have no information or SDK for what you're trying to do.
Actually, I'm afraid you're quite mistaken about most Palm devices, Linux and other Unix systems work perfectly well with a wide range of devices from Palm, Sony and Handspring, thanks in part to assistance from those companies.

And the mutual assistance is a two-way street between the companies producing Palm devices and the open source/free software community.  For example, the Palm OS Emulator (POSE, http://www.palmos.com/dev/tools/emulator/) is largely based on code from Xcopilot, a free (GPL) emulator written for Unix/Linux with an X-Windows interface, and was adopted and ported to Windows and MacOS to become POSE.  The adoption of this very valuable free tool by Palm saved that company quite a bit of development effort, and your company's engineers have no doubt benefited from that work.

I wish you would reconsider your decision, but since that will likely take more time than the return policy will allow, this weekend I will return my I330 and purchase a Handspring Treo or Kyocera 7135 instead.  It is unfortunate that your company has chosen to not participate in the process of writing free drivers at this time, the growing community of free software users will have to work without the benefit of your otherwise excellent products.

Thank you again for your prompt reply to my request.

Sincerely,
--
Adam Powell http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/
Thomas B. King Assistant Professor of Materials Engineering