Re: supported PDA lists

(Sorry if this has been replied to in the last couple of days; I've
missed mails from this list since Wednesday because of subscription
complications...)

Anyway, the short answer is that there are multiple lists, two of which
are relevant here: the drivers/usb/serial/visor.h file with which your
kernel was built, and the middle of the gpilotd.c file in the
gnome-pilot source tree.  My patch earlier this Spring brought the two
closer together by using product IDs in gpilotd, so one could just copy-
and-paste from visor.h.  But the problem remains that there is no
exposed list outside of the source code.  You have to "just know" which
devices are supported by which versions.

This is a real problem.  Here's a possible solution: make visor.h the
definitive list, and have the visor driver export that e.g. via an
IOCTL.  Add string names to the vendor and product IDs in visor.h and
export those too.  That way gnome-pilot (and jpilot, pilot-link and
kpilot or whatever it's called) can recognize USB devices as the kernel
does without having to make new releases.  And gnome-pilot gets a list
of string device names that can be presented to the user, e.g. in the
capplet.

Of course, this leaves out serial, IR and network devices, though my
impression is that those are easier to support (e.g. I did not need to
wait for "Kyocera 6035 support", I plugged it in and the serial driver
just worked, even on Debian ARM!).  And apparently the Samsung I330 must
be dealt with differently, using a separate USB serial driver; if there
are other phones like this then we won't have a complete USB list!  It's
annoying to not have vendors include a driver CD that just works. :-(

But if the goal is supporting the needs of the user, this is a start.
Any feedback, or other ideas?