Re: evolution address book conduit issues

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 21:44, lsiden wrote:
> I agree.  I am also becoming very frustrated with Evolution.

I empathize with you, however, evolution itself is quite stable from my
experience.  The problem is gnome-pilot.  This may be splitting hairs,
but..

> The problem with this is I never know when it will work and when it
> won't and it doesn't generate a log file that might help me.

I was having problems with syncing in the evolution 1.0 days and found
that the applet was the source of the problems.  I sent in bug reports
but nothing happened.  However, instead of using the applet, I created a
small script for me and my users that served me well.

#!/bin/sh

GPILOTD_RUNNING=`/bin/ps -A | grep gpilotd`
# first stop gpilot
if [ ! -z "$GPILOTD_RUNNING" ]
then
        echo "Stopping already running gpilotds"
        /usr/bin/gpilotd-client -p > /dev/null 2>&1
        /bin/sleep 2
        killall gpilotd > /dev/null 2>&1
        /bin/sleep 2
        killall -9 gpilotd > /dev/null 2>&1
        rm -f ~/.gpilotd.pid
fi
                                                                                                                                        # now start gpilotd
echo "Starting gpilotd..."
echo ""
echo "Press the hotsync button on the Palm when you are ready."
echo "Just watch the palm and when it says it is completed,"
echo "you are done."

/usr/bin/gpilotd >> ~/.gpilotd.log 2>&1

Notice that you get a logfile in ~/.gpilotd.log.  If this isn't doing
enough, how about strace?

> If there
> is no prospect of resolving this soon I may have no choice but to go
> back to jpilot.

If the problem is EAddress, post the bug on a ximian list.  EAddress is
something they support as part of evolution.  You might also try
evolution lists ximian com

Jamie

--
Email:        jstrand1 rochester rr com