Re: Handspring Visor USB and Evolution (James Gallagher)

Hi all,

I used to be able to sync my visor and evolution more or less easily;
sometimes I had to kill gpilotd once, but nowadays I have to restart
the deamon up 7 or 8 times, I was wondering if anybody had found
a way to circumvent those problems; I'll certainly try to run
gpilotd manually as suggested below.  Here is my config:

Modules loaded:

visor                  10400   6
usbserial              18336   0  [visor]
usb-uhci               21604   0  (unused)
usbcore                51104   1  [visor usbserial usb-uhci]

I run RH 7.2 on an IBM A20p laptop.

 >> There sure is, but its not necessarily for the faint of heart. As
 >> of last week you needed to download the source for and compile the
 >> following packages in this order:

 >> 1. pilot-link 0.11.4
 >> 2. gnome-pilot 0.1.66
 >> 3. gnome-pilot-conduits-0.10
 >> 4. evolution 1.0.8

 >> I know binaries for a lot of these packages were in process when I
 >> did all this so they may be out by now. AFAIK the first evo binary
 >> slated to support this is 1.1.2beta.

 >> A lot of people have had troubles with building gnome-pilot due to
 >> configure leaving a flag out of the makefile, there is info on
 >> that in an earlier thread in the mailing list. And you don't know
 >> the meaning of DEPENDENCY HELL until you try and compile
 >> evolution, but they do include detailed instructions on how to do
 >> it, so I guess we can't complain.

 >> I compiled all the above packages and have evolution syncing to my
 >> USB Visor Edge under Mandrake 8.2

 >I have mine syncing using the earlier versions of these packages
 >from red carpet, but not exactly the way I'd like to. I have to
 >start gpilotd from a terminal, then go to my visor and do the sync
 >thing, then kill gpilotd. If I try to sync a second time, or used
 >gpilotd as a daemon (they way it's intended to be run), syncing

 >If I get the various packages/versions you list above, can I use
 >gpilotd as a daemon, or will I still have to run it, one shot mode,
 >from the command line?

marcel turcotte, assistant professor, school of information technology
and engineering, university  of ottawa, 800 king edward,  p.o. box 450
station a, ottawa, ontario, k1n 6n5, canada, tel: (613) 562-5800 x6660
fax: (613) 562-5664,  site 5003,