Crashed sync leads to wasted batteries

Here is my problem.  Gnome-pilot is great but still has some issues:
occasionaly it crashes during a hotsync.

The problem is that the next time I do a hotsync gnomepilot wants to
back up every thing again.  I have tried changing the last backup time
for my databases and removing the backup-bit but still gnomepilot backs
up everything again.

In the backups directory everything ends up in the del sub-directory.

A full backup of my palm takes ages and eats up my batteries. (I am on a
Palm IIIx - no re-chargables)

Is there any way around this?