Re: Name of projects

> > pda-link or gnome-pda are ok I think or an acronym might be useful too,
> > since pda's are getting used more and more gnomda or something - the gnome
> > digital assistant ?
>
> 	Both projects currently ONLY talk to PalmOS-based handheld devices,
> one very specific brand of PDA, and do not work with WindowsCE devices,
> Agendas, Psion, Zaurus, or any other PDA on the market, hence the name.

Whereas the software may have been initially named for Palm-pilots, I
feel that as a Handspring Visor (and Neo and Deluxe and Treo) user, that
the word pilot has specific connection to the early Palm-branded
products.  The handspring products never used the word pilot.  The only
word in common with all PalmOS devices is Palm.

> 	pilot-link will not be renamed.
Well actually, is there anything in the license which prevents me from
calling it "visor-link" on my own system? ;)
OTOH the author here is clearly reserving the right to call his or her
software anything he or she damn well pleases.  You are the author
aren't you?

> 	I'm not sure what the gnome-pilot guys want to do, though so I can't
> speak for them. Eventually, I'm sure both projects will mature to work with
> other PDA devices, but at that point, new interfaces and libraries will need
> to be written, it's not simply a matter of pointing gnome-pilot or
> pilot-link to the new device on a port.

Well, in the case of the Handspring Visor (with USB support), once USB
is behaving, it pretty much is.

--
Dominic Amann, Linux Based Solutions Ltd., <http://www.lbs.ca/>
	18 Candlewood Cr, Toronto, ON M3J 1G8