Re: network syncing

On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 21:37, David A. Desrosiers wrote:

Hi,

thanks for that super quick response!!

> > I never sorted out being able to compile pilot-link/gnome-pilot/evolution
> > to be able to synch with my m515 using USB, so decided to try to get a
> > network sync working!

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to compiling stuff, I'm afraid!!

I'm OK on kernels etc.... but anything else and my knowledge is
lacking!!!

I used the cvs version of gnome-pilot.

Autogen.sh seems to work.  It does throw up some errors about aclocal:-
#########

i.e.Please run 'aclocal -I m4' to regenerate the aclocal.m4 file.
You need aclocal from GNU automake 1.5 (or newer) to do this.
Then run 'autoconf' to regenerate the configure file.

You might also want to copy the convenience header file gettext.h
from the /usr/share/gettext directory into your package.
It is a wrapper around <libintl.h> that implements the configure
--disable-nls
option.
###########

However I followed the instructions and the errors do not seem to go
away!

Anyway then i run make and get:-

scotgate2:/usr/src/gnome-pilot% make
cd . && /bin/sh /usr/src/gnome-pilot/missing --run autoheader
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/second/src/gnome-pilot'
Making all in m4
make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/second/src/gnome-pilot/m4'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/second/src/gnome-pilot/m4'
Making all in po
make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/second/src/gnome-pilot/po'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/config.status', needed by
`Makefile'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/second/src/gnome-pilot/po'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/second/src/gnome-pilot'
make: *** [all] Error 2

> 	It's actually pretty easy to do, assuming you have all the parts.
> I've been helping dozens of people (it seems like it) on the lists and irc
> with this exact situation. I grabbed one of the people I helped and asked
> him to repay the favor by writing up my instructions in a HOWTO, but
> apparently he didn't get that far yet..
>
> 	Where are you stuck?

Well I really do promise to write up my experiences (whichever I do get
working!!!)

BTW which is the IRC channel?

> > But using pi-csd and pilot-xfer -p . -l I get:-
> > scotgate2:/dev# pilot-xfer -p '.' -l
>
> 	The syntax has changed, it's now net://x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is a
> local IP on your box.

scotgate2:/dev# pilot-xfer -p 'net://10.10.10.1' -l

   ERROR: No such file or directory
   Unable to bind to port 'net://10.10.10.1'
   Please use --help for more information

Same error message!!

> > I'm assuming that gnome-pilot (which says is compatible with network
> > synching) is capable of a network sync!!
>
> 	Well, what is more important? Sync'ing with Evolution? Or doing a
> Network Hotsync? And what is the remote machine's OS? Windows? Linux? BSD?

There is no remote machine.  I'm just using this way as a workaround to
try to get it to synch with Evolution.

I can backup my palm quite easily with pilot-link ok!

I think there is one part of this that I am just misunderstanding!! But
what is that???  :-)

Cheers
Chris

--
  Chris Lindley
  chris lindley scotgate org          chrishl bmb leeds ac uk