Hangs at "Identifying User"

First, I want to thank any and everyone that had anything to do with
Gnome-Pilot.  Now that I have it and Evolution, I can finally break my
dependency on windoze (except for gaming, sigh).   A special thanks to
Eskil.

Second, I have been working for the last 4 days (!) getting this darn
thing to work and I am very close.  I found the answers to most of my
problems by wading thru previous posts to this list.  Here is where I am
at:

I got it to sync one time completely through.  After that, every time,
it gets to "Identifying User", stalls, and times out. I found in a prior
post to this list where some one had a similar problem and it was
suggested that they do a "killall gpilotd;gpilotd" so they could see the
output.  When I did it started working perfectly.  I ran it about
successfully 7 times in a row before I was satisfied.

However, I do not want to run gpilotd in a terminal every time.  So next
I killed the terminal (thus killing gpilotd) and right clicked on the
applet and selected "restart daemon" and pressed the sync button on my
palm.  Now it once more consistently  hangs at "identifying user".

Another bit of info - When I first boot and log in to Ximian Gnome, if I
try to hot sync I get no response at all (it times out with out ever
even getting to the "identifying user" stage.) I did a ps -ef | grep
gpilotd and found it so I know it was running.  If I do a "killall
gpilotd;gpilotd" and then sync it, it works. Killing that terminal and
restarting the daemon using the applet and syncing then once again
consistently gets me the "identifying user" hang up. At any time I can

Any ideas?

I am using:
Handspring Visor USB
Redhat 7.2
Gnome (all RPM's in that RedCarpet channel is from the Ximian distro)
gnome-pilot 0:1.63-ximian.2
pilot-link 1:0.9.5-ximian.2
control-center 1:1.4.0.1-ximian.5

BTW - I hope the answer isn't to upgrade to the latest at
http://www.eskil.org/gnome-pilot/   I have had a very difficult time
getting the correct versions of control-center, etc to play together
just to get this far.

Thank you all very much for any info you can give me regarding this.  I
realize it may be a Ximian problem and not gnome-pilot.

Happy Holidays!

Chris