Trials and tribulations - Palm + Gnome + Evolution

Ok, having discovered on the evolution list that I can use AvantGo on
Linux, I decided to remove one more thing tying me to my Win2K box -
palm sync'ing.

I had some problems getting my Palm to sync, but having read through the
archives and doing:
- adding symlink from /dev/ttyS0 to /dev/pilot
- chmod 666 /dev/ttyS0
- upgrading to gnome-pilot 0.1.64 and conduits 0.8

It now syncs - well, at least sort of syncs ;)

Problems:
1) When I updated the two RPM packages and restard gpilotd, the control
panel applets seem to have disappeared completely? (They used to be in
the Advanced section - now they do not exist there or anywhere else) I'm
using control-center-plus-1.5.8

2) I've configured my Palm via the pilotsync applet (because that still
brings up the configuration dialogue) and syncing brings up a dialogue
saying 'MyPilot synchronizing'... and it all seems to complete. However
whatever I do I can't bring up the conduits dialogue to configure MAL
(which is needed for AvantGo i understand?).

As I mentioned the applets have disappeared from the control center, but
clicking on 'conduit settings' in the pilot sync applet menu flashes up
some dialogue (too quick to read it) and then brings up the Settings
dialogue again?

3) Similarly I can't seem to configure Evolution to sync. Going to
Evolution -> Tools -> Pilot Settings brings up the settings box again.
Possibly related to problem 2?

Any help much appreciated - I'm sure I've just missed something simple.
Might I suggest some of the above would be useful in a 'getting started
with Palm and Linux' article? (especially the symlink bit too me ages to
find from the archives - such a simple thing!)

Cheers,
Mike

--
Mike Cannon-Brookes :: mike atlassian com

Atlassian :: http://www.atlassian.com
     Supporting YOUR J2EE World