Re: iPaq acting like a Palm to sync wth pilot-link??

On Tue, 2001-12-04 at 13:00, Ahmad Baitalmal wrote:
> Hi,
> I used pilot-link with a palm III and it worked great. I'm trying to find a
> way to sync my iPaq to the same data using pilot-link.
>
> The idea is that I would build some serial communication app that interacts
> with pilot-link as if it were a palm pilot.
> I'm not woried about the iPaq side, I guess what I'm really looking for is a
> simple pointer to "Where can I find the protocol documentation?" for the
> syncing process.

I'd recommend creating a new software for syncing.  What pim-apps are
you using on the ipaq??  If you are using wince you should look at
http://synce.sourceforge.net/.

If you are running linux on your ipaq this might be interesting.

I just created a evolution-addressbook-export-hack that will export your
evolution addressbook into a xml-formated file that is suitable for the
qpe-addressbook.  It works quite well but it is no syncing.. just
export.  I'm working on doing the same thing with the calendar. It
shouldn't be too hard to do real syncing either.

> Yes I know someone is building a palm os emulator for the ipaq, but that's
> overkill. I just want to sync pim data. All I want is the Protocol
> Documentation to build an application that pilot-link would think is a real
> palm device and interact with.
>
> Any info on where to start would be much appreciated, I've looked everywhere
> for a straight answer :)

If you really want to create a "palm-sync-emulation", the pilot-link
sources is a good start :)

/Erik
--
Erik Bågfors               | erik bagfors nu
Supporter of free software | GSM +46 733 279 273