Re: Installation Anomalies?

On Mon, 15 May 2000 07:15:22 Nick Bower wrote:
> Hi.  Gnome-pilot - great project - just wish I could use it.  I'm
> running RH6.1 on a Thinkpad 600E.
>
> Firstly, maybe just a cosmetic error:
>
> # rpm -ivh gnome-pilot-0.1.52-1.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
> 	libglade >= 0.11 is needed by gnome-pilot-0.1.52-1

no it's not. rpm doesn't stop for cosmetic errors.

> # rpm -qa | grep libglade
> libglade-0.6-1

huau. that's old.

> So I just forced it to be installed with the --nodeps option.  More

the rpm man page should have a bold "only use this option if you have a clue
about what you are doing". i blame redhat. the --nodeps option lets you use
rpm
to start with a totally working system and end up with something where ls
breaks.

> importantly however, whenever I try to sync, I just get
>
> "gpilotd caused a fatal error (Segmentation Fault)".

that figures.

> This happens before any logging occurs and before any of the conduits
> kick in.  The gnome bug number seems unhelpful given it is different
> and increasing every time the problem occurs.

the gnome bug number ? don't you mean pid ?

> Can anyone offer advice on how I can get this package to work?

yes, get libglade-0.11 from ftp.gnome.org and try again.

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds