Visor interface info [Was: Dumb terminal connection with Visor]

[Crossposting this to gnome-pilot]

We're talking about user-land ways to make information on which
/dev/ttyUSBx a Visor is attached to available. Right now this is only
recorded in the syslog.  Eventually daemons like gnome-pilot might want
to react to visors being plugged in to the USB ports. If the visor isn't
the only thing on USB serial ports, you might not be able to count on it
being /dev/ttyUSB1 (or whatever).

Greg KH wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 10:28:13AM -0700, Richard Zach wrote:
> >
> > Should such information not be recorded somewhere in /proc/usb?  If the
> > only way to
> > find out where the Visor is connected is to look in /var/log/messages,
> > then you'd need to be a priviledged user to do that.
>
> I agree. This probably isn't a "good thing". The info in /proc/bus/usb is not
> enough to determine which port the driver is attached to.
>
> Maybe I should create a /proc/drivers/visor directory that gives out stats
> on the visor(s) attached to the box. Would that be useful?

I imagine that might be a good place to do that.  What about the USB
config scripts?  Suppose I wanted to start a gpilotd on the hotsync
port, and/or a pppd on the generic port every time a visor gets pugged
in.  I would probably do that with a config script in  /etc/usb/config/
as described in http://www.linux-usb.org/policy.html, right?  How do I
set it up so that this script gets called every time the visor port
becomes active?