Re: Port speed?

Eskil Heyn Olsen <deity@dbc.dk> writes:

> However, if I patch pilot-link to type the PILOTRATE env string as it
> reads it, it is NULL. The same problem that I experienced. Maybe it just
> me...

No, that's not it.  The problem is that we can't free the string we
pass to putenv.  The Unix Programming FAQ says

    the string passed to putenv must *not* be freed or made invalid,
    since a pointer to it is kept by `putenv()'.  this means that it
    must either be a static buffer or allocated off the heap.  the
    string can be freed if the environment variable is redefined or
    deleted via another call to `putenv()'.

and my reading of the glibc source supports that.  unfortunately,
neither stevens, the glibc manual, nor the man page make this
clear....

How do I go about getting CVS write access?

"I am Carson of Borg. Hah! This is soooo futile <'how futile is it?'>"