Re: Building gnome-pilot (fwd)

Oy...

resending, I didn't get a copy from the list server, so just to be sure...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 21:22:23 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Eskil Heyn Olsen <deity@trinity.dbc.bib.dk>
To: gnome-pilot-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: Building gnome-pilot

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Manish Vachharajani wrote:

> Threads do have the benefit of making queue management easier though.
> Maybe we can set the uid of just one thread?  Does POSIX threads support
> this?  If this is possible I wouldn't worry so much about memeory

No, I don't think pthreads does that, remember looking for at a year
back or so.

> with threads is, what about portability?  How widespread is POSIX threads.
> I will be happy if it works reasonably on the following OSes

Adressing each OS I've tried:
	- linux, threads were soddy a year or two back, people
	say it is ok now.
	- Solaris, they rock.
	- AIX, they suck. Well, we encountered a lot of sigsegvs that
	appeared to be caused by fault memory allocation when threading.

And I know that FreeBSD has pthreads support.

I don't know about others, but if they have thread support, it should
be pthreads, and if not, I doubt thats the only problem there will in
porting the stuff. (and is it a unix that people will be installing
gpilotd on ?)

I think threading should be limited to a thread for pilot operations
and a thread for corba calls. That way orb calls won't delay a sync.

Also, then a pilot should be marked as busy, so that a request_for_*
on that pilot reesults in a BUSY error.

> > I will probably make a library like the panel_applet lib, that >
> encapsulates the corba calls.  Yes this needs to be done and is
> independent of gpilotd

Also ensuring that such things as file operations happens with the
calling programs permissions.

> /var/spool/$USER and not in the users home dir?  I would prefer the users
> home dir, but we had this discussion and I don't remember the outcome.

We sort of halfway agreed on letting the global version use
/var/spool/gpilotd/USER, and the local in .gnome/gnome-pilot.d/.

> If you can do it in one quick commit, meaning one or two days, do it in
> the main branch.  If the work will span weeks, or take multiple commits
> make a branch.  I will try to add global support for what we have now this

I doubt it'll be quick, so I'll create branch for that development.

eskil