Re: Spool dir

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Eskil Heyn Olsen wrote:

> Oy...
>
> [using gnome_config to store queues]
> > Good, because i have no idea if the storage mechanism of that config stuff
> > will ever change :)
>
> As long as the interface doesn't change, they can change as their hearts
> desire.
>
> > That is my problem as well.  I can't think of how to authenticate an app
> > either.  Maybe we should require pilot passwords for global gpilotd if we
> > can figure out how to check them that is.
>
> If each pilot has an "allowed users" list, you could place a cookie file
> in .gnome. The client then sends this as its auth, the daemon running as
> root can check against ~user/.gnome/gnome-pilot.d/cookie.

Well, that means that you have to put the cookie in the global gpilotd
config somewhere and then duplicate that cookie in the users home
directory.  This could be a administration hassle.  I would really like to
see us use the ORB's auth mechanism, though I don't know what that is.
The pilot password also seems pretty reasonable to require, and we can
cache it in a file in the users home directory.

In order to prevent the faking problem we really need to use ORB security.
I just have no idea how this works.  Elliot, could you enlighten us?