Re: Corba-izing gnome-pilot

> This sounds pretty reasonable, but we should do it as follows, so as not
> to require conduits writers to have ORBit devel around.  Add a function to
> conduit_support.c that returns the CORBA_ORB pointer from the
> dbi->manager_data structure as a void *.  In the gpilot-conduit.h file we
> add a macro that just calls the the fucntion and casts the return value to
> CORBA_ORB, and we add a prototype for the void * returning function as
> well. This will avoid the need for conduit writers to have the orbit
> include stuff around unless they use CORBA.  When adding the CORBA_ORB
> field though, we should change the name of the stored structure from
> GPilotSyncStamp to GPilotConduitSupportInfo or something similar and just
> have a static GPilotSyncStamp entry in this structure.

Hmmm.  If people want to, I suppose it's okay, but if they're
developing for gnome, they'll almost certainly have the necessary
header files installed.  In addition, I'd expect almost all conduit
authors to use CORBA as their chief IPC protocol.  I'm not sure if it
buys us anything, but I guess it doesn't lose us to much either...

> > Ad. regstrating the gpilotd. Currently I put the IOR in
> > .gnome/CORBA-servers like the panel does, is this the registration you
> > mean, or do you mean something from libgnorba ? (goad_server_register
> > looks like a prospect).
> >
> > I won't use gnome_CORBA_init since it also initializes gtk+.

We will move to gnome_CORBA_init later on.  The reason that
gnome_CORBA_init deals with gtk is 'cuz the main event loop is in gtk
currently, and ORBit needs to fiddle with it.  It is being moved into
glib currently, so there will be a variation of this that will init
w/o gtk.  In addition, the goad_server_* stuff is exactly what we want
to use to register this stuff.  I have written the code to do this
(all two lines of it), but am waiting until gnome_name_server_get()
does more then simply hang... (-:  I think they'll have this fixed
soon (fingers crossed...)

-Jonathan