Re: FAO: Gnome Packaging Project

tor, 16,.09.2004 kl. 12.43 +0100, skrev Karl Lattimer:
> Dear List,
>
> As of recent postings to this list I would like to make the following
> proposal.
>
> At present there is no defined direction or objective of this project.
> The list admin seems absent so therefore there is no project manager.
> The project appears to have been dormant since a week after its creation
> (those dates are 2000 btw).

Me, and Andrew Sobala, have been working on getting things running
again. We just haven't told too many.

> 1. To provide packages for distributions which support package
> management systems which are widely in use i.e. .rpm .deb, if there is a
> member of this list which is experienced in building slackware binaries
> then that would also be beneficial.

This is already the plan. We have a build box, and we've started setting
things up using Build Buddy (http://www.build-buddy.org),
Ximian/Novell's build system.

> 2. To provide packages in source form primarily with the objective of
> creating tarball distributions which can be built by rpm -ta <tarball>
> or equivalent for debian/slackware

This is almost done. The autotools generate rpm spec files, for usage.
It would probably be easy to make .deb and other formats as well. Note
that automatic configuration of builds might be problematic. On the
other hand, Build Buddy solves this by abstracting it into one common
XML format, and our goal is to maintain a set of build specification
files for the Platform and Desktop, possibly other packages as well.

> 3. To merge package build spec files (or debian/slack equivalent) into
> the current gnome packages which are distributed via gnome ftp.

The BB config files would be held separately in CVS.

In addition, we would like to have snapshot builds and build statistics,
so users and developers can see if a package builds from CVS.

I'm willing to take "leadership" over the packaging project, if a
leader/coordinator is wanted. The infrastructure for automatic builds
are there, but there's still some work that must be done. So far, we've
just done what we want, without any specific leader.

Best wishes,
Christoffer