FAO: Gnome Packaging Project

Dear List,

As of recent postings to this list I would like to make the following
proposal.

At present there is no defined direction or objective of this project.
The list admin seems absent so therefore there is no project manager.
The project appears to have been dormant since a week after its creation
(those dates are 2000 btw).

I have been subscribed to this list for a long while and would like to
do my bit for the gnome desktop.

If there are no objections I would like to appoint myself the project
manager here and provide the following objective;

1. To provide packages for distributions which support package
management systems which are widely in use i.e. .rpm .deb, if there is a
member of this list which is experienced in building slackware binaries
then that would also be beneficial.
2. To provide packages in source form primarily with the objective of
creating tarball distributions which can be built by rpm -ta <tarball>
or equivalent for debian/slackware
3. To merge package build spec files (or debian/slack equivalent) into
the current gnome packages which are distributed via gnome ftp.
4. To verify packages which already contain spec/equivalent build files
to ensure clean builds on as many systems as possible
5. To divide this list for project members and users with the aim of
providing support to users with building their own packages and project
members (of which I would like to see an increasing number who also
package for distributions) to work together on building build files to
assist distributors
6. To work together on building a web site with the aim of helping
distributors and users alike. Providing directions on building and
configuring packages in the correct order to primarily assist in
distributors who wish to include and customise gnome installations out
of the box.

Karl Lattimer,
ICT Engineer
Kent Music School