Re: Where to put spec files...

On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 08:19, Chris Chabot wrote:
> >>I'd say, lets make our own naming convention (ie
> >>"base_package_name-major.minor.sub.RPKFORMAT", and use the redhat /
> >>gnome style naming for our libraries (gconf2, gnome-vfs2, etc) This way
> >>
> >Do I get it wrong... redhat style and gnome style are a little bit
> >different now? (e.g gconf2/gnome-vfs2 etc for Redhat, and gconf/gnome-vfs
> >for Gnome)
> >
> Well, yes and no... thats actualy one of my many hangups with the
> current packaging situation.
>
> The tarbals are names in the base_name-version convention style (ie
> gconf-1.1.6), however the location into which they install, and the
> naming of their libraries are following the -2.0 style.

Right, and this actually makes perfect sense, if you know about their
logic.  GConf is using a similar versioning scheme to that which the
kernel uses.  That is, GConf 1.<even>.X is a stable release, and GConf
1.<odd>.X is an unstable release.  The next stable release after GConf
1.1 will be 2.0, so directories are already named that way.  Capish?
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.