Re: Where to put spec files...

Mandrake is using the library policy used in debian packages:
For example, gtkhtml/libgtkhtml19/libgtkhtml19-devel.

Ok.. that does suck ;-) However, if we get a knowledgable mandrake packager, wouldnt it be posible to use 'Obsoletes' and 'Conflicts' in the RPM to deal with this semi-grasefully? The nice thing about attempting to solve some problems this way would be that it doesnt conflict with other platforms, since those package names are not in use on those platforms.. so basicly there ignored.

I'd say, lets make our own naming convention (ie "base_package_name-major.minor.sub.RPKFORMAT", and use the redhat / gnome style naming for our libraries (gconf2, gnome-vfs2, etc) This way
Do I get it wrong... redhat style and gnome style are a little bit
different now? (e.g gconf2/gnome-vfs2 etc for Redhat, and gconf/gnome-vfs
for Gnome)

Well, yes and no... thats actualy one of my many hangups with the current packaging situation.

The tarbals are names in the base_name-version convention style (ie gconf-1.1.6), however the location into which they install, and the naming of their libraries are following the -2.0 style.

the problem with following the base_name-version style is that it messes up the whole concept of being able to have both gnome 1.4 and 2.0 libraries installed on your system.

This will not bite you if you do a simple ./configure && make && make install from the tarballs, however for packaging, which _removes_ the files of the package your upgrading, the problems are very present ;-)

(ps, this is why i, where my knowledge was sufficient, put in Conflicts < old_gnome_version in the RPMS im building, you _need_ a newer gnome for the dual install to work).

we are compatible with the highest percentage of people, and have a clear standard to submit to SuSe & mandrakem which do not have to break their old releases and base system designs.

Agreed again, if any clean solution is proposed.

Well, lets keep pluggin away at it ;-)

   -- Chris