Re: Current talk from gnomedesktop.org

> Well, I wasted a whole evening the other night trying out Redhat 9...  and
> it was a aweful experience...  the GUI installer wouldn't work(probably my
> Radeon 8500AIWDV video card)...

It's possible to do a text based install which is not going to be harder
than installing debian ;)

> and I could only install a bare minimum
> system off of only 1 CD(was too impatient to download and burn them
> all)...

Well you NEED at least the first two cds to install a working system so
the fact that you only used one and ended up with a broken system
doesn't really say anything against redhat ;)

>  then trying to build the system up from there was not fun...  and
> finally after dealing with lots of dependency problems I just ditched it
> and reinstalled Debian...

Well if you do a proper install from 2 cds and then install apt and
synaptic and only use apt sources for rpms instead of random websites
then you will have no rpm dependency problems. I have gstreamer,
freshrpms, and "people's repositry" sources set up and have access to
far more new and useful gnome software than any debian user :)

People compare apt to rpm but that makes no sense as rpm is a package
format and apt is a distribution system. Apt is just as useful on a
redhat system as it is on debian - the main advantage of debian being
the massive repositories - but if one is building a distro from scratch
that is less important.

My plans totally revolve around apt - they just don't so much revolve
around debian ;)

> So, my vote is for building off of Debian... :-)

Hmm, well I still have to look at it but my impression is that there is
a LOT more work involved in using debian. Also the gnome community is
very much gnome-centric and all the other people who have volunteered to
work on this use redhat.

I mean debian still doesn't have a gui installer - and one of the main
things that I want for the os is to have no necessity to use the cli.
With the next redhat version it will be possible to install and boot
without having to see a blinking cursor on a black background once!

Anyway I will likely be making a single iso test of the Gnome Linux
Desktop over the summer just for a laugh. I'm not going to start work on
the real thing until Gnome 2.4 and Linux 2.6 are ready, but it might
give you an idea of who it could work with redhat.

I would also love to hear how you would plan on building off debian..

--
		 .--= [ MArk Finlay - sisob ] =--.

        [ Gnome User's Board : www.gnomesupport.org/forums ]
    [ Public Key: http://evolvedoo.sf.net/sisobatericomdotnet.asc  ]