Re: Current talk from gnomedesktop.org

Hey Mark,

>> I've thought a lot about the lower levels of the OS...  I would like to
>> innovate some on RedHat or Debian, or whatever we base it on...  Things
>> like parralel service starting... and the zerconf stuff I mentioned
>> before...
>
> Yeah, sounds really cool. My only reservation would be that if we do
> anything useful like that that would be useful to other distros we do it
> in such a way that it can be used easily by everyone. The whole rc
> scripts are less than optimal, and it would be cool to get rendevouz
> technology into linux/gnome. I'm looking forward to seeing redhat's new
> gtk2 bootup in whatever is the next version of their distro, wonder if
> they plan on improving the whole thing or just making it prettier...
>
> I've learned (the hard way sometimes) in the past that linux and open
> source must evolve at it's own pace and cutting corners for the sake of
> getting something sooner can be bad. I'm not suggesting that that's what
> you ment, but thought i'd rant anyway ;)

Yeah, I'm all for sharing useful stuff...  we don't want to compete with
RedHat/Mandrake/Debian/etc/etc/etc...  we want us all(as a team) to
compete with MS Windows XP and Mac OS X...

>> I currently use Debian... but will look into RedHat's base...
>
> Yeah, personally I use redhat and know it's base well and like a lot of
> their inovations and addons to gnome. Also the redhat installer
> (anaconda) is very powerful and well tested, and debian's is far from
> easy to use.

Well, I wasted a whole evening the other night trying out Redhat 9...  and
it was a aweful experience...  the GUI installer wouldn't work(probably my
Radeon 8500AIWDV video card)...  and I could only install a bare minimum
system off of only 1 CD(was too impatient to download and burn them
all)...  then trying to build the system up from there was not fun...  and
finally after dealing with lots of dependency problems I just ditched it
and reinstalled Debian...

So, my vote is for building off of Debian... :-)

> I'm a much bigger fan of ximian and gnome artwork than bluecurve...

Agreed...  the gnome/ximian artwork is great!

> And I can send you more artwork etc... off list

Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing what you have put together.

> ps. If you're planning on GUADECING we could possibly do some face to
> face discussion then..

That would be nice...  but there isn't a chance of me making it to GUADEC
this year...  I'm pretty much working 2 full-time jobs(only getting paid
for one) at the moment, plus I don't have any extra money...

Dan