Re: Current talk from gnomedesktop.org

Hey Daniel, et al

On Sat, 2003-04-26 at 17:32, Daniel Farrell wrote:
> Yeah, I lurked on this list a while back...  it was wanting to be a
> community run, debian based, ximian...  or at least that was my
> opinion...
>
> I also am interested in a home user oriented distro...  and I think it
> would have to be community run to just focus on the home user.
Yeah, home based is the way to go. But it should be possible to make it
pallitable to anyone really.

I'm also hoping that gnome's administration tools will get
done/finished/started in the next year or two. I've always had a love
for networking and would love to bring gnome's "Just Works" philosophy
to a lan server with nfs/nis/ldap/remote lockdown etc... But anyway
that's totally OT and has scarce little to so with the current talk,
except that it would probably be a sub-project eventually.

> I've thought a lot about the lower levels of the OS...  I would like to
> innovate some on RedHat or Debian, or whatever we base it on...  Things
> like parralel service starting... and the zerconf stuff I mentioned
> before...

Yeah, sounds really cool. My only reservation would be that if we do
anything useful like that that would be useful to other distros we do it
in such a way that it can be used easily by everyone. The whole rc
scripts are less than optimal, and it would be cool to get rendevouz
technology into linux/gnome. I'm looking forward to seeing redhat's new
gtk2 bootup in whatever is the next version of their distro, wonder if
they plan on improving the whole thing or just making it prettier...

I've learned (the hard way sometimes) in the past that linux and open
source must evolve at it's own pace and cutting corners for the sake of
getting something sooner can be bad. I'm not suggesting that that's what
you ment, but thought i'd rant anyway ;)

>  *I have a Powerbook G4(besides my day job, I'm also a church
> planter, and the church uses all Mac stuff, so I was given a Mac laptop)
> and so I can test this stuff...*

Cool, I've been thinking about PowerPc Linux recently - would be nice to
support as many architectures as possible , eventually... but PowerPc
and x86 wouldn't be too hard to support with yellowdog looking pretty
hot(in case you aren't aware that the latest yelowdog is based off
redhat 8)

> Other stuff that has crossed my mind is keeping with the Gnome
> versions...  Current stable would be 2.2...  and our unstable would be
> 2.3, and so on...  Then we would do a release shortly after each stable
> Gnome release, and the lower layers would be just be kept up with what
> Gnome uses...

Exactly - my thinking was that there would be an apt repository that
users could update from, and if we were to use redhat as a base this apt
repository could also act as the semi-official redhat rpms that are most
requested on gnomedesktop.org

Then at regular intervals (probably similar to gnome releases) we cut a
major new iso...

>  I like the idea of letting Gnome set the course...  if
> they pick a web browser(epiphany vs galeon), video player(Totem vs
> gst-player), music player(rhythmbox, net-rhythmbox, lymric, etc), IM
> client(Gossip seems favored over Gaim), etc, etc, etc... we should just
> use what is chosen...

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. There will of course be apps
that we include and have to make decisions over that will never make it
into the desktop, like Office software and software that is stable
enough for use but didn't quite make it into gnome in time..

> I currently use Debian... but will look into RedHat's base...

Yeah, personally I use redhat and know it's base well and like a lot of
their inovations and addons to gnome. Also the redhat installer
(anaconda) is very powerful and well tested, and debian's is far from
easy to use.

That said, I'll test debian, and it's graphical installer in testing
when I get a chance. Also slackware is worth a look - doesn't have much
in the way of system tools though. The redhat tools are really great.

> and I
> don't think we can realistically do anything big before september
> anyways besides plan and choice artwork(this might be something we
> disagree on, which is fine, but I'm all about usablility and prefer a
> Lighthouse-Blue setup)

Yeah, I used lighthouse-blue for quite a while and think that it would
make a great basis for a default desktop theme - but I think that the
coloring can get quite sickly so we'd be better of using
lighthouse-white.

As for artwork, origionally I was thinking very Macish and came up with
this http://evolvedoo.sourceforge.net/first.png ... but then i realised
that gnome has some very unique artwork, and after looking around ago i
spliced together the attached first-lowres.png and some other artwork
with that style for my anaconda(redhat installer) theme. I also replaced
all the blucurve icons in the installer with gnome/gnome-system-tools
icons.

I'm a much bigger fan of ximian and gnome artwork than bluecurve...

> and such...  but let's keep communicating while
> we can and keeping brainstorming...  And I would love to see what you've
> done so far...

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this - have been sick of late and
will be very busy over the next while, but I'm very enthusiastic about
continued discussion....

And I can send you more artwork etc... off list

ps. If you're planning on GUADECING we could possibly do some face to
face discussion then..

--
		 .--= [ MArk Finlay - sisob ] =--.

        [ Gnome User's Board : www.gnomesupport.org/forums ]