Re: Current talk from gnomedesktop.org

Hey Daneil,

I was looking at the archives for this list and saw that the old
gnome-os was going to be based on debian and be targeted at
coprorate users.

I don't know about you but my personal interests would be to start
off designing towards home users and then maybe make a server
version too with stuff like NFS/NIS/NAT/Samba/X forwarding etc..

I still have to so some research but IMHO apt-rpm is probably the
best system to base a gnome os on atm. But I still want to check out
dropline and see if that could be made into a whole os. Also see what
redcarpet and Ximain2 is like.

Redhat has come on so much in the last while I think that a good formula
might be:
Redhat + Extras from ximian - kde - most servers + loads of multimedia
stuff + handpicked gtk2 applications- redhat artwork + a consistent gnome
theme for desktop/gdm/boot/grub/lilo

Unfortunately I'm in hospital atm and have exams in a month and so am in
no condition to start something like this. My plans mostly involved using
the new kernel with redhat 9.1 because that's when I envisage being able
to start something as big and exciting as this..

But our goals for a project like this seem very similar, i particularly like
your zeroconf ideas. I'd love to make gnomeos (or Gnome Linux Desktop
as I was calling it) as easy to use and configure as OsX.

I've already written some scripts that rebuild anaconda with some gnome
artwork, and update the hdlists with new rpms added to the iso. If you want
I could start up a sf project and commit the base layout to cvs. I also
have a small readme on how to use the scripts.  Might be a bit
premature yet. Have you got any strong opinons on how the whole thing
might work? love to hear them...

Also I was thinking that I'd use an apt-get repository, that way you could
cut a new iso, say every month or two, but in the meantime the users
could still get the latest STABLE* software from the repository.
Also the repository should always be kept fully compatible with the latest
redhat release so that people can just upgrade from that if they don't want
to bother doing a full os install, and it would aslo mean that we would be
providing the much saught after rpms for redhat..

MArk

* some of the users of gnomesupport.org have already stepped up to run
the unstable repository.